Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Before and After Desk and Chair

Last Wednesday night my husband and I were driving home when he shouts, "Did you see that"? What? What did I miss? He said there was a desk on the side of the road. A desk? Really? You mean that thing that I have been shopping for for months. The item I needed so badly for my living room? The item I was getting ready to purchase for at least $100? There is a free one on the side of the road? Go back! Go back! So that's just what we did. We circled the block. jumped out of the car, and stuffed that baby into our trunk! I'm not even joking when I say I could not sleep that night because of all the ideas running through my head. What color should we paint it? How soon can I go to the hardware store? I was ready to tackle my first refinishing project.


Before

Little did I know how involved the process would be. In my mind, a can of spray paint. Well, my husband educated me a bit. We went to the hardware store and with a power sander, paint, brushes, wood for the top, and sand paper we were on our way. I had the vision, but my husband was very instrumental in making the dream a reality. 

Time to start

 My first time with a power tool

New top. Thank you, honey

And then came the moment of truth. The color. I chose a deep orange to match my curtains, but I was so nervous. I knew it was much, but was that too orange? Have you ever seen an orange desk? 

Orange

Here goes nothing

Ta-da!!! 

After many hours, it was done! And I love it! It is perfect in our living room. Perfect size. Perfect color. Perfect price! Love it!

So I had the desk, but I still needed a chair so yard saling I went! The sole purpose for my morning trip was to find a chair. Well, that and to hang out with my friend, Sarah! We went to yard sale after yard sale, but still no chair. We pulled up to the next to last sale and as I got closer I saw it! My chair! I started squealing and running towards it! And when I looked up I had a few fans excited for me that I finally found my chair. My beloved chair. 

Before

I'm sure it made some little girl very happy. But no more! I was about to "destroy" it. I think I can still hear the whimpering from that little girl's room. But she will be happy to know that it has moved on to bigger and better things! First thing, reupholster the cushion. With the pinstripe fabric that I love. 

Looking better already

Much better

Nice!

And now here comes my spray painting! But not before sanding the ENTIRE chair first. Whoever finished this chair before me decided it would be a good idea to spray it with a clear coat on top! I don't like that guy. He added way more work for me. 


Love!

 So as I sit here at my wonderful little desk and chair writing about it I am pretty pleased. I saved at least $150 by utilizing my side of the road and yard sale finds. Sure there was some work involved, but worth it because it is exactly what I want it and it matches my living room perfectly. 

It goes perfect with the rug



I am very pleased with my first refinishing project! But even more pleased that it is done!


No comments:

Post a Comment